Sunday, January 23, 2011

Moses from Waltham, Maine~

Dear Susan,




Moses out of his crate at the airport

Moses arriving at airport


I can't begin to tell you how much Moses has changed my life. I am so sorry for getting back to you so late. No excuses, just life's little distractions (mainly Moses & Leah). He is my little baby! My Bella (12 and 2 months), doesn't really pay much attention to him except at bedtime. They sleep side by side in our bed. My four cats think he is a pain in the butt, but they tolerate him and 2 often play with him. Moses is now 6 months old, fixed, and absolutely gorgeous. I get more comments about his beauty!! He is a handful as I have spoiled him rotten. Very smart from the start. He knows all the commands & tricks. I even taught him with sign language, as now my Bella is deaf and going blind, and I wish I had taught her because she doesn't pay attention to a thing we say. I think it is just old age and entitlement:) I have only been without Moses about 10 hours since he arrived. As you know we live out in the woods in a log home and I have a disease that keeps me pretty much at home. He has lit up this place so much. He has even made me more active as he is quite hyper and likes to play fetch outside and do his daily walk. Now... He and my grand daughter Leah (who is 21 months), are like mutt and jeff. He sticks to her like glue and she calls him "Moemoe". He plays dolls with her, lays in her lap while she is playing, brings her things to throw for him, and lays beside her during her naps. I have her 3 days a week and she was with me when we went to Portland to pick him up. He stole all of our hearts. I think I have taken about 800 pictures of him so far. He is very photogenic! My mother, my daughter, & my grand daughter all went down to get him at the airport. He was so good right from the start. Slept on the 3 hour trip home from Portland and when he arrived at the cabin he made himself right at home. Bella came outside and came over to him, sniffed him from head to toe while he laid on his back for her. She then walked away and pretty has ignored him since. He irritates her when he tries to play so she disciplines him better than I ever could:) He is definitely a momma's boy as he is a cuddle bug. My husband laughs and says I have never seen a dog that lets you carry him around like a baby. When you pick him up it is like all his muscles stop working. He goes completely limp and you can fold him up like a pretzel and he is just fine with it. It is quite amusing and awesome. He loves to be cradled and held. This place is a doggie heaven. No vehicles just open space and water! First time he went down to the lake he walked right in and it didn't bother him a bit!! Bella has never liked the water, she doesn't even like to get her feet wet, so it was unusual for me to see that. From that point on I had to watch him around the water. I have a rock that has stairs and I go up there to look over the lake and read my bible in the morning. Bella has always gone with me so I started Moses right out on his leash. He kept trying to jump off the rock! He is quite brave! I laughed and then coiled up his leash. From that time one he was pretty good about staying put. We started right out walking on the leash everyday. Bella doesn't require a leash so she would walk a little ways ahead of us. He learned heal real quick, and as time went on he didn't require a leash. Bella and Moses walk side by side on our walks now (well I think he tries to be a nose ahead of her at all times!). He loves the snow and the cold weather does not bother him one bit! We cross country ski across the lake and he stays between my legs as I have a wide stance because of my lack of balance. Bella wears mutt lucks and they both wear sweaters to eliminate snowballs on them. Last trip he stopped a few times to clear his pads of ice so I am going to order another pair of muttlucks for him. He is quite a bit bigger built than Bella already at 6 months except for Bella's weight. He weighs about 15 lbs compared to her 22. She used to be 18 lbs before Science Diet Puppy food came along:( We are switching him slowly over to her food, Hill's Prescription ZD. She's been on it most of her life and our vet absolutely swears by it, plus Moses adores it. They eat each others food all the time! Now to the haircuts.... I have cut Bella's hair all her life and was looking forward to Moses' beautiful coat. Well, he hates to have his haircut! He bites at the clippers with lightning speed and won't sit still for his head and face and feet! It is horrible! It's a good thing that I adore him because it takes me about 3 hours to do his cut, compared to 1 hour to do Bella. He finally gets so exhausted from getting held down that he gives in a little and lets me finish. Bella has always sat perfect. The upside about it is that he loves his bath, and Bella hates hers!! I wanted a dog that was the opposite of Bella and my husband laughs and says well you got what you prayed for! He certainly is and at this point in my life he is exactly what I needed. He is a total clown and makes me smile just looking at him. He looks at me right in the eyes and acts like he know exactly what I am thinking. Bella has always been quiet and reserved. She was kind of forced into it as I got sick when she was only 1 year old. She learned patience during the day because I was in bed and then she was able to play once the kids got home from school. Moses would not allow me to lay in bed without him jumping on my head to get me up at about 7am. Then he lays over on his back with is head on my pillow and gets his belly rub before we get out of bed. Well that's his new life in a nutshell! There will be more updates in the future I think of you often, especially when someone asks, "where in the heck did you find a dog like that?", or, I've never seen a dog any more beautiful than that." I hope you enjoyed your Thanksgiving and Christmas as you deserve to have a lot of joy in your life because of the joy that you bring to others through your pups. You are truly a blessing to me and my family, and your name and kennel has been broad casted to everyone that knows Moses. I hope you enjoy the pictures. God Bless you and your family in 2011! Much Love, Luann