Sunday, July 21, 2013

"Miss Bailey Glory" and Friends from Buffalo, New York~



Dearest Sue,


I'm heading back to Albany tomorrow for the second weekend in a row and the third time in five weeks, so I'm sending this a few days early...

First, and most importantly, WELCOME HOME DAVID!!! We're so grateful you're home safe and sound and we hope you're having an easy transition back to being State-side. As you settle in, my brother and his National Guard unit are preparing to deploy. In fact, he just got back last night from a school in Arkansas where he spent two weeks learning how to organize their deployment. I would love some advice on what's good and bad to include in care packages, if you have any. When my brother-in-law was over there all he asked me to do was record wrestling for him. Since he and my brother are about as far apart as can be, I thought I'd ask you for some advice instead...And Sue, I'd love any advice you have on how to help Mom through the next year, especially Christmas time...she's really struggling with this as I'm sure every Mother must.

Congratulations to Katie and Jonny as well! We wish them many happy years together, having just celebrated our 13th Anniversary on Monday, ourselves.

I cannot believe Tuesday will mark a year since Bailey came home! It doesn't seem possible that it could have been that long ago. She is doing so well and remains the tiniest little thing! We went to the vet today and she's exactly 20 lbs, which is 10+ lbs lighter than my other two, but they were/are males and not from show-quality lineage. She has TONS of personality, of course. Her favorite thing to do is try to get those little brown birds that like to play in the dirt. I think God put them here to torment her and test the strength of my shoulders since they love to stay near the sidewalk until they're just out of reach of her, then take off and land 5-6 feet away to start the process over again. When we meet new people on our walks, she does everything in her power to get the most attention and affection and they seem only too happy to comply. I understand. I have trouble resisting her adorable little face, myself. She still looks like a puppy to me and I hope she always will.

As you can tell from most of the photos I've sent you over the last year, she loves being with her brother and sister. So much so that I worry sometimes about what will happen when Chica and Curley cross the Bridge. Chica is 11 now and Curley's likely at least 10. Hopefully this worry is still a few years off, though, as I relish being a Mom to three such adorable fur-babies.

With my frequent trips home and starting to run again, Bailey's been getting lots of Daddy/Daughter time, which I don't think any of them are all that excited about, actually. When I was home last weekend to run the Utica Boilermaker, Alex found out the hard way why I never took down the gate between the family room and the front hall. That's where I sit each morning to do my hair and make-up in the full-length mirror. I have a basket there that I keep all of my "stuff" in-my curling iron, my crimper, my mostly empty make-up containers...he left for work without making sure it was completely latched and she went to town on it. I usually remember to put it up high, but I forgot this time. Either the heat and humidity fried my brain or I was so focused on the race something was bound to be forgotten. You see, I was a last minute replacement for Chris when he was sent to this school, so I had just under three weeks notice to go from running 0 miles to 9.4. No easy task when the last time you ran was last year's Boilermaker! But, the good Lord not only saw me through it, He managed to help me knock 3 minutes off of last year's time, to which my Dad mumbled something under his breath about there "being no substitute for youth..."

That's about all the news from here. I'm excited about next weekend's garden walk and I hope that this break in the heat and humidity will last long enough for us to get them out to Emery for some fun. I hope you and Mike are doing well and you've recovered from all your travels. You remain in our prayers, always.

Much Love,

Sarah and Bailey Glory