Saturday, September 15, 2012

"Drummer" from Grand Junction, Colorado~



Hi Sue!


I saw your little note on the "Upcoming Litters" page offering first dibs on
the next two litters to those who have missed out due to other's technological
advantages. I remember waiting all night for your email when Starr had her
litter 3 years ago. My concern back then was the time difference between NY
and CO. And after all of that I ended up with Drummer instead of Lady (aka
Betsy). I'm sure with all of the new technology out there that those of us who
are less "tech-savvy" would miss out. I'm glad to see that you found a fair
and just way to help those who have tried for so long and want a puppy so
badly.
On another note - Drummer had a little adventure (or is that "misadventure") a
couple of weeks ago - one that I hope is NEVER repeated. Glenn had taken him
out for his final walk before bedtime and, after Drummer did his "business",
he went exploring in our FENCED yard (please note the word "fenced" - as in
"chain link"). Glenn was hoping to get to bed a little early that night, but
Drummer took off after something in a dark corner of the yard. Glenn put the
flashlight on it, but wasn't sure what it was until he saw the tail with the
white stripe go up in the air. He yelled for Drummer to come, but Drummer
didn't heed the command immediately. Glenn couldn't smell anything until
Drummer rushed by him to go in the house. I'm in our bedroom and I hear "HE'S
BEEN SPRAYED!!!!!" while Drummer runs right to me. What a night! Needless to
say, we didn't get to bed early that night. Thankfully, Drummer was "only"
misted and didn't get a full "hit", but, believe me, it was potent enough to
stink up the whole house and give me a sore throat. The only thing that I had
in the house to use on him was canned tomatoes, but that didn't work too well.
It was hard to sleep that night and I took him to the groomer's the next day
where he was washed FOUR times. He came home smelling a little better - if a
skunk with a coat conditioner smells "better"! He LOOKED beautiful, but you
sure didn't want his face near yours!
It's been 2 weeks and, at times, I think that the smell is fading. Then
Drummer licks his lips or takes a drink and then he smells bad all over again!
I can't imagine what his food must taste like to him.
Glenn had to leave town a couple of days after this happened, so we secured
the fence in areas that we thought were possible skunk entrances for the time
being. We'll be adding an additional fence OVER our chain link to make sure
that this doesn't happen again. In the meantime, we have to patrol the yard at
night before we let Drummer outside to do his "business".
Hopefully, we don't have a repeat of this adventure ever again!
Just thought that I would share!
Have a great rest of the day!

Hugs!
Mary :o)