Thursday, January 20, 2011





Susan,
I am so sorry it has taken me so long to get back to you with an update on Bailey, as I'm sure you often wonder how he is. However, the holidays hit and the time flew. And to say he has kept us busy is an understatement. I have never had such an inquisitive puppy. And he eats EVERYTHING! Every little grundy he finds on the floor and everything he can get into his little mouth. His favorites are a wad of kleenex, the corn we put out for the squirrels and all the deer poop he can find. We've nicknamed him Dirt Devil.



He eats well and is still being fed the Purina Puppy Chow. He now weighs 15.3 #'s and is just starting to get his permanent teeth. Our Vet was very impressed with Bailey and commented that he was well bred and will be a beautiful dog. He was really impressed with his big paws.



He is 99% house broken and knows the words "outside" and "good boy cookie" and "no" (although he largely ignores it) He knows he's faster than we are, so he'll grab something and disappear at warp speed and wait for us to find him. He is a very happy and playful guy and very intelligent and entertaining. The entire family adores him, but he is super bonded to my husband. My sister says when he walks its like he knows he's regal.



We are still working on the crate training. He sleeps at night in his kennel. The only problem is the kennels in our bed. Mel caved in. He couldn't bear the howling. I know people think we're flunking crate training 101, but Mel believes in baby steps for the baby. We now have the kennel lowered to the bench at the foot of our bed. And then the floor. At least that's Mel's plan. LOL. I told Mel I should have got the deluxe cage, the one that fits over the king size bed!



Our plan is to contact the trainer in the next month or so. I'll let you know how that goes.



And to think I was worried that Bailey looked lethargic. He is anything but. When he's in the car he's a model puppy. Quiet and no chewing or howling. But let him loose in the house and its like he has an evil twin that takes over. He's a challenge and we have our hands full, but he's been worth it. I can truly say my husband is no longer retired and bored. Just tired. LOL



I hope you folks are weathering this winter well. I can see you too have been getting a lot of snow and that all is well with you and your family and Bailey's cousins.



Bye for now,



Nancy