Thursday, March 18, 2010

Drummer from Grand Junction, Colorado~


Hi, Sue!




Isn't spring wonderful?! After such bare and dreary days that hint of green

poking up through the soft dirt sure is a welcome sight! You mentioned that

the red-winged blackbirds are your first sign of spring. Ours was always the

Western Meadowlark, but we're no longer living near a field (where they like

to set up house), so our first signs are my daffodils and crocuses coming up.

That lets me know that winter is losing its grip. Spring is here for sure when

the Sandhill Cranes fly over our house on their way north for the summer. I

heard (and saw) the first ones today!



I'm so glad for Piper (Smoochie)! The kids sure look happy to have a new

puppy! I'm sure that he will be greatly loved!



Drummer is sleeping next to me as I write to you. He had a tough day because I

had to do some yardwork in the front yard - a place where he can't be with me

because it's not fenced and I also have plants that would be bad for him. He

just didn't like the fact that he couldn't be right next to me. He was OK as

long as I was right on the other side of the fence from him, but once I moved

further away we began to have trouble. I finally had to crate him so that I

could finish in peace - LOL!



Last weekend Glenn and I fixed the back yard so that we could safely open the

whole area up to Drummer. He had been blocked off from the south and east

sides of the house because of too many cedar bushes and spring bulbs and

various plants that aren't "puppy friendly". Since the ground has now thawed,

we were able to put up some temporary fencing around the critical areas and he

is now enjoying his new expanded play area. Tim, however, jokingly says that

we have ruined our "Feng Shui" of the back yard - LOL! It does look rather

chopped up, but it's not directly visible to the neighbors (or us) unless

we're in that part of the yard. Hopefully we'll be able to remove most of it

in a year or two - once he's past the stage of taste-testing everything!



I've attached a few pictures of Drummer. One is just a portrait of him that

makes him look quite handsome. The other two go together and show his "other

side". I was starting to clean the bathroom and had to leave it to get some

supplies. Drummer "seized" the moment and took off with the toilet paper. I

wish that my digital camera could have turned on more quickly to capture his

first expression when he came around the corner. It was a "Look what I've got,

Mom!" sort of look - LOL! The second picture shows the streamer leaving the

bathroom and going around the corner! All I could do was laugh! He WAS a good

boy, though, and dropped it when I gave him the command (something he has been

working on from his puppy class). Anyway, I thought that you would enjoy them!





Hope that the "Ladies in Waiting" are all doing well. I'll bet it's very quiet

at your place - for the moment!



Have a blessed day!



Sending some warm spring air your way!





Mary :o)